Monday 18 July 2011

Extra Thing 3 (week 4) : widgets

Library Widget on Classics Page
The extra thing for week 4 is using the Cambridge Library Widget.  I promote the widget to our users and we have it embedded on the Classics library page.  I find it useful to direct students towards it rather than logging in to Newton.  I had not tried the RSS feeds or adding it to my google calendar before.

The RSS feed worked well - I issued myself a book as I realised I had nothing on loan - as my loan appeared straight away. Although whether it sends me a reminder when it is due I don't know. That would be more useful than knowing I had just borrowed it.

I also added it to my Google calendar but it did not show there even though I refreshed the calendar. There is obviously a delay in data appearing and so its usefulness is dubious, especially as at Classics our undergraduates have a 2 day loan and so need the information quickly.  I will need to check when I am borrowing properly to see if things appear or not.

1 comment:

  1. I had a play with the Google Calendar link - the information on the UL site does warn about how slow it might be...I'll get back to you on that one!

    ReplyDelete