Wednesday 21 September 2011

Extra Thing 6 (week 11) : visualising that data

A thing on making things look pretty - or really presenting your data in a clearer way.  I had a go with wordle - I am not a big fan of these images created from word frequencies that crop up on lots of sites now (including library catalogues).  The dominant words don't always seem that relevant because context is not taken into account. I tried to create a wordle on my blog and removed the common English Words and it was dominated by "also" - is that not a common English word???  I couldn't see a way to remove individual words so following a colleague's suggestion I gave tagxedo a go instead.  Apart from the option to have lots of different shapes it also allows you to skip words to make the result a bit more relevant.  So here is my tagxedo - it includes the blog posts from 23 things last year as well as the new Extra things (I was pleased to see that Extra did feature high up).


I chose an umbrella as it looked a wet miserable day.  This was a good choice as the sun then immediately came out!

I had a quick look at Gliffy which did look useful for floor plans and diagrams although I didn't have anything I needed to create at the moment.  Definitely something to return to when producing documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment