Monday 2 August 2010

Murder in the librarything

Librarything I first heard about a few years ago and thought what an excellent way to load up my book collection and then never be stuck in that secondhand shop wondering if I already had a book.  I looked at it but never did anything so Thing 14 gave me the impetus. Or did it?

I created my page and decided to add the crime fiction books I have on my shelves.



I have a number of series by authors so decided I would search by author and then add all their books rather than getting each book off the shelf.  This was my first problem - I retrieved the titles but only seemed to be able to add one book then research and add another book etc.  Time consuming.  I added about 20 titles and then decided I would go on and add a review and keywords.  Again, probably missing something but I started with Dorothy L Sayers and wanted to add Lord Peter Wimsey to all the titles.  I could only see a way to go in individually but probably missing something.  

So I started with Gaudy Night and edited the entry, filled in keywords, wrote a brief review.  Then I made a mistake.  The book jacket I had loaded was different to the one I owned but there was an option to search other book jackets.  So I did this and found the right one so felt pleased.  After accepting it I was returned to the edit screen to find I had lost all my keywords and reviews which I had not saved - back to square one, not impressed.

I can see the advantage of librarything if you have a bunch of books by you and are scanning in the isbns.  If you are doing author searches the options are too many really to be practical.  Also too time consuming to retrospectively add your collection especially if your day job also involves cataloguing books you don't really want to do it at home as well!

I would like to investigate further the linking to opacs and new book lists now I am back in work as I think this would be useful.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, Peter Wimsey...

    I haven't found a way to edit tags on multiple entries, either. Annoying, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete