Thursday 3 June 2010

i spy ...

The first task for cam23things was to create an igoogle page.  It was easy enough to set up up a default page but then I needed to add the stuff I wanted which was okay until I got to tabs.  Eventually worked that out but decided to add only those things I wanted or needed to use regularly.  This is when I decided igoogle was not for me.  All the things I wanted to add I have bookmarked in my favourites and find it quicker to go there than login into my igoogle page.  The only things I use every day were electronic databases that I couldn't add and Newton catalogue which didn't work when I tried to add it.    So I filled up with the news, weather, word of the day etc which are not essential (that is, of course, after spending most of my time  trying to find a header I liked!)


Interestingly the reason I find that I don't want to use igoogle is google itself.  I have just been going through my internet bookmarks, that have built up over the past 8 years, as they have just been expanding.  I realised that I had bookmarked alot of stuff that I don't use that often and in fact normally now just google to retrieve.  This is as quick as going to my favourites or scrolling round an igoogle page.  I just kept those items that are hard to find via a search engine or which I use very regularly.  I prefer that to the igoogle page.

I know people will say that igoogle can be accessed anywhere and doesn't tie you down to one computer but then there are online bookmarking sites (a thing for later) and I can get on a search engine just as easily.

Next thing RSS feeds and I decided to give netvibes a go,  more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment