Thursday 24 June 2010

I thawt I taw a putty tat - then it was gone

Thing 7, time for tweeting.  I felt I needed to try it out for awhile before I could really blog about it.  Still not convinced on its usefulness.  I think it is probably great if you are connected almost constantly to your twitter page and can see all the updates for the people you follow.  But if you only drop in now and again (or even just daily) it is pot-luck as to what you happen to see.

I am following various people but when I login I just get the last 10 or so tweets, sometimes all from the same people if they have been tweeting alot.  I probably need to investigate further and try other options for viewing tweets.  I have the #cam23 search so I can check out what is going on in there - although again only the latest ones unless I plough back through pages of old tweets.  If you reply to someone or ask a question how do you see if you get a reply?  Maybe I am missing something but unless I happen to be logged in when it pops up on my home page or if I replied to someone and go and check out their page I can't see responses.

I tried out "seesmic web" suggested in the 23 things blog to see if that helped but still couldn't see a way to sort my tweets.  Realise again this is the organisational side of my nature and sometimes I like the serendipitious (is that a word?) nature of logging in and seeing something that catches myr eye of interest or fun, but for more serious benefits I would like to be able to divide up my tweets, e.g. library related, friends, entertainment etc.

Anyway here is my twitter page and I did manage to change the background for no particular reason!

Should also add the one thing I do like about twitter (which I didn't think I would say) is having updates for conferences/meetings of interest that I couldn't get to.  When I am at them it has always annoyed me that people look like they are on their phone texting and not paying attention but now I will think they are twittering and passing on the useful information to people who can't be there. 

So I will take the one positive and try to develop from that and maybe if I didn't have such an antiquated phone and could check twitter on it I might become addicted.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, NPage wrote a post a bit back about a thing called JournTwit, which she says is very good for organising Twitter use. I haven't tried it myself, but maybe you'll like it?

    http://npagelibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/06/using-twitter-without-using-twitter.html

    ReplyDelete