Friday 25 June 2010

The camera never lies


Turkey: Ephesus Library image by ultimatejourneys on Flickr

Thing 10 (and thing 9, at last I can combine) flickr and pictures.  I had browsed flickr before although never uploaded and still haven't.  I found the photostreams interesting although wasn't sure on the rules on taking pictures of places that are not public.  I suppose taking a picture from the outside is okay but do you need permission for inside?  Especially as the piccy goes up on flickr and under creative commons people can use it anywhere as long as they say who took the picture.  Not sure.  But at least it means we get to see some lovely places like the Ephesus library - an early centre of learning.  I could have put my own photograph if I had uploaded it to flickr - so perhaps I should start!

I was glad for the link to creative commons - now understand that alot better although it says things like cite the author in the way they request.  I looked around flickr and find nothing about who the author was most of the time apart from their flickr "username" but assume that is enough not to be banned by Google for copyright infringement!

We were told search for libraries (check) or hobbies - not so sure.  Anyway I found this that combined two of my interests (is an interest a hobby?)

Three wise monkeys & stormtroopers by Gianz on flickr

Three wise monkeys (I have a collection, not an obsession, honestly) and scifi/fantasy films. I have a collection of "three wise" anythings, atlhough I now realise I am missing a gap with stormtroopers. It started with my chimpanzee ornament from Bristol Zoo when I was 7.  Now I have over 50.  Mainly because I love chimpanzees (even adopt one from Monkey World) but the collection now has a variety of animals including lots of animals such as elephants, hippos, frogs, dragons, and Winnie the pooh.

Not so convinced on the usefulness of flickr in libraries - some are obviously adopting it and I think it is a good way to put up events.  A way, in particular, for public libraries to get more people in if they see what is happening. 

For those of you like me having an 80s flashback here are Bucks Fizz singing - My camera never lies on some show.  (Not just being frivolous as I have now learnt how to embed a video in my blog thanks to the blogger help.)







  

1 comment:

  1. From Ephesus library to Buck's Fizz in the SAME blog post, this is really impressive! A neat bit of thematic segueing there. And I like the stormtroopers!

    ReplyDelete